The Benefits of a Brake Inspection
There’s no way to get around it–healthy brakes keep people safe. The best way to maintain this system is to have it consistently examined by experts, as doing so keeps minor issues from devolving into major repair jobs. So, whether you want a routine check-up or suspect needing replacement parts, the experienced technicians at Gaston’s Garage can help.
When to Schedule Brake Service
The simplest way to find out when your brakes need servicing is to check the owner’s manual. Keep in mind, however, that driving habits greatly influence this system’s shelf -life, so if you live in a high-traffic area or tend to be rough on your brakes, you might need to service them more often than you think. If you notice any of these symptoms, consider bringing your car in for professional evaluation:
- The brake pedal feels spongy or sinks into the floor more than usual
- The steering wheel shakes intermittently or when you turn
- You hear strange noises when braking
- You feel excessive vibration when you engage the brakes
- The brakes are slow to respond
- Your brakes need more distance to stop fully
- The car wobbles, especially as speed increases
- The brake light comes on
- Brakes grab when you put pressure on the pedal
Note: It helps to have your brakes serviced at least once a year or every 12,000 miles. Even if everything seems normal, staying a step ahead of the warning system only helps you avoid expensive repairs in the future.
What to Expect from a Brake Inspection
The main purpose of a brake check is to make sure all fluids stay at proper levels and there are no leaks or worn out parts. With that, our technicians also inspect rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, hoses and brake hardware. If any element shows signs of wear or dysfunction, we will fix or replace it.
The Most Common Brake Services
The brakes get used each time you drive, so its parts are vulnerable to wear and tear. In fact, the brake pads, which rub against the disc when the car stops, become damaged faster than other components, so brake pad replacement happens more often than other services. The following tasks also help maintain a brake system:
- Brake caliper replacement
- Brake fluid flush
- Resurfacing of rotors and drums
- Brake hose replacement
- Anti-lock brake evaluation and service
- Master cylinder replacement
- Re-alignment of calipers and rotors
- Wheel bearing service
For all your vehicle’s maintenance and repair needs, call Gaston’s Garage in Apex, NC at 919-387-7270 today.